Applying for a Provisional Licence

How to Apply

First things first, before you can even get into a car and start learning to drive, you have to get hold of a provisional driving licence. To apply for this, you must complete the application form D1 that's available from either the 'Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), or from your local Post Office. It takes about 4 weeks for your application to be processed and for your licence to be sent to you - so if you want to start learning as soon as you hit 17, make sure you apply early.

You can apply for your first provisional driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle using the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency's (DVLA). secure and easy to use online service. (This Link open in a new window).